Rawhide for dogs is a popular chew toy for many pups. It's commonly made from the skin of cows, horses, and other animals. While it may seem like a safe option for your pet,rawhide can actually be dangerous.
In this blog post, we will explore the different types of rawhide available and discuss the risks associated with them. We will also provide some safer alternatives to rawhide for your furry friend.
What is Rawhide for dogs?
Dog treats made from rawhide are a by-product of the leather trade—the inner layer of either cow or horse hides is used to make it. The leather used for shoes, clothing, and upholstery is taken from the outer layer of the hides.
As a dog chew, the inside rawhide is treated, dried up, and then molded into different forms. The most popular form of rawhide for dogs is a rawhide bone, which is created by manipulating layers of rawhide into the form of a bone. There are also rawhide sticks, rawhide rolls, and rawhide chips.
The Preparation of Rawhide for Dogs
After the hide has been cut away from the animal, it is initially submerged in brines with a high salt content to prevent deterioration, which can make the hide quite salty. The hide will also be degreased and cleaned with detergent before being sterilized with hydrogen peroxide at lower amounts. After that, any connected hair or fat must be removed using abrasive chemical combinations. The skin layers are then separated using further chemicals, such as lime.
The hide can now be processed into rawhide for dogs after being separated. To make them seem and smell more enticing, artificial colors and flavors may be added during this procedure. They are then sculpted into unique shapes, which occasionally involves glue.
The Different Types of Rawhide for Dogs
- Rawhide bones:The most popular form of rawhide, these are made by manipulating layers of rawhide into the form of a bone.
- Rawhide sticks:These are long, thin strips of rawhide that can be used as chew toys or treats.
- Rawhide rolls:These are rawhide bones that have been rolled up into a tube-like shape.
- Rawhide chips:These are small, thin pieces of rawhide that can be used as treats or training aids.
What are The Dangers of Rawhide for Dogs?
It can occasionally be challenging for dogs to digest traditional rawhide dog treats. Even though the inner layer of an animal skin (which serves as the basis material) is natural, it still goes through a number of chemical processes to help make it durable.
Rawhide bones have a structure that keeps your dog interested for hours of chewing, but the chemically produced toughness can also pose a choking threat. In your dog's mouth, rawhide gradually gets softer and more malleable. It can occasionally be bit off at this point and swallowed in pieces.
Once ingested, it is difficult for your dog's stomach to digest. This could cause your dog to experience excruciatingly agonizing indigestion or even life-threatening intestinal obstructions. Petco advises using treats made from readily digestible substances that won't endanger your dog in place of conventional rawhide bones but can still be just as tasty.
Rawhide for dogs can also break your dog's teeth. Due to their hardness, rawhide bones can crack or chip your dog's teeth. This could cause your pup a lot of pain and may require a trip to the vet.
Are there any alternatives to rawhide for dogs?
Yes! There are several rawhide alternatives on the market that are just as entertaining for your pup but won't pose the same health risks. Here are a few of our favorites:
- Bully Sticks:These are made from all-natural beef muscles and are slowly roasted to perfection. They're a great source of protein and are highly digestible, making them a safe alternative to rawhide.
- Sweet Potato Chews:These chews are made from 100% sweet potato and are slowly baked to create a crunchy texture your dog will love. They're a great source of fiber and are also highly digestible.
- Vegetable Chews:Unlike rawhide, these chews are made from all-natural vegetables and are free of artificial colors, flavors, and preservatives. If you're looking for a rawhide alternative that's healthy and delicious, these chews are a great option.
What is the best dog bone for dogs?
There are a variety of dog bones on the market that are made from different materials and come in a variety of shapes and sizes. It's important to choose a toy that is made from a durable material that won't break easily and is the right size for your dog.
For us, we recommend BetterBone ORIGINAL Sustainable and All Natural Dog Bone.
The BetterBone promotes dental hygiene by its distinctive trident-shaped form and is made from two all-natural, 100% sustainable components. It is also rawhide free, non-toxic, hypoallergenic, and non-splintering. The BetterBone promise is to keep your dog satisfied, secure, and healthy while minimizing environmental impact.
Don't miss out,click here to order yours today! Your furry pal will thank you for it.