Chew toys and chew sticks for puppies are a great way to help keep your puppy's teeth clean and healthy. But when is the best time to start giving them these treats? And what are the best types of chew toys and dental treats to give your pup?
The answer may surprise you - it's actually much sooner than you think. Keep reading for some handy tips on how to care for your puppy's teeth!
What's The Best Time To Give Your Puppy Dental and Chew Treats?
When you first bring your puppy home, it may be a little hesitant to chew on anything. This is normal - they're just getting used to their new surroundings. When they start chewing, here are a few things to keep in mind:
Wait until your dog is about 6 months old before giving him dental treats
Your puppy is still growing and experiencing changes, particularly in its gastrointestinal (GI) system. It might get stomach aches if you give it dental treats too soon. Trying out new food items its stomach isn't ready for could result in vomiting or diarrhea.
Choose chew toys and dental treats that are specifically made for puppies
These will be softer and easier for them to chew on than adult-sized chew toys.
Avoid giving your puppy hard chew toys or bones, as these can damage their teeth
Although they are undoubtedly sharp, your puppy's teeth are still developing as they are only baby teeth. Giving them dental goodies before their adult teeth erupt and jaw structure has had time to mature will prevent injury to their baby chompers.
Start with short chew sessions
Chew sessions can take around five minutes at a time. You can gradually increase the chew time as they get older.
The Benefits of Chew Sticks For Puppies
Every dog parent knows how intense the chewing phase can be. Puppies love to chew on everything, and it can be tough to keep them from destroying your belongings.
But did you know that chew toys and chew sticks can actually be really beneficial for your puppy's dental health? Here are a few benefits:
- When puppies chew on chew toys, it helps to remove plaque and tartar from their teeth. This can help to prevent gum disease and tooth decay.
- Chew toys also help to massage your puppy's gums, which can reduce inflammation and promote blood circulation.
- Chewing also helps to relieve boredom and can serve as a form of mental stimulation for your pup.
What To Look For When Buying Dental Treats And Chew Sticks For Puppies
There are plenty of treats in the market and it's easy to choose the wrong one. Here are some tips to follow when choosing the best treat for your pup:
The correct size is important: A chew toy that small-breed pups consider indestructible won't hold up in the mouth of a young German Shepherd for more than a few minutes. Therefore, you should choose your puppy's chew toys based on their size and jaw strength for safety and maximize your investment.
If you're not sure which size to get, it's best to go with the bigger size to prevent your dog from ripping it apart right away. And just as with any chew toy, it's important to watch your dog closely when you first introduce something new, especially if it isn't food.
- Buy high-quality materials ONLY: Anything you give your pup to chew on needs to be composed of either robust materials that they can't easily shred or high-quality, easily digestible substances. For chew toys that are edible, keep in mind that puppies should ideally be slowly chewing through the item rather than biting off huge bits.
- Adult and puppy chew sticks are two different things: Puppy chew sticks are usually softer and more flexible to protect those delicate puppy teeth. This will massage its gums and clean its teeth as they chew. Adult chew sticks are much harder and not meant to be eaten but rather to be chewed on for dental stimulation and teeth cleaning.
- Know when to toss it: All chew toys have a lifespan. Once your pup has chewed the toy to death, it's time to get rid of it and get a new one. Inspect your pup's chew toys regularly to make sure they're not falling apart and pose no choking hazard to your furry friend.
Looking for the perfect chew toy for your puppy? We have the best one for you!
BetterBone sets a new bar for your dog's safety, sustainability, and enjoyment. Our products are non-toxic, hypoallergenic, and non-splintering.
It is made from two all-natural, 100% sustainable components. Its distinctive trident-shaped design also helps to improve oral hygiene, perfect for those who are teething or going through a growth spurt.
Don't wait, get your chew toy today! Your pup will thank you for it. Click here to order.
Leading the pet industry to a better, healthier, and more sustainable future. Using our proprietary, innovative, and sustainable materials to create products better for your dog and the planet.