In an industry where natural ingredients and sustainability are paramount, the use of eco-friendly, and dog friendly ingredients takes center stage. BetterBone sources our ingredients exclusively from the European food industry. Making them not only sustainable but GMO-Free too! One such ingredient that has gained prominence across industries, including in thousands of the food products you and I eat, is PEFC sustainably sourced cellulose. This blog post explores the natural, healthy, and sustainable characteristics of cellulose, its FDA approval for human consumption, and its diverse applications in human foods and now the BetterBone dog chews. Specifically, we delve into how BetterBone, the leading provider of natural and sustainable dog chews, incorporates cellulose to create innovative and eco-friendly dog chews to give dog owners a better option for their best friend. So stop giving your dog a nylon, rawhide, or rubber stick, and join us as we uncover how sustainable cellulose is changing the dog chew industry for the Better.
In short cellulose is:
- Completely natural
- Compound found in nearly all plants, fruits, and vegetables
- GMO Free
- Used in thousands of foods you and I eat everyday
- A completely sustainable and renewable ingredient.
- Acts as non-soluble fiber and is safe to ingest and pass through the digestive tract.
- Safer and healthier for your dog and the planet.
Don't take our word for it. Cellulose was written about in NPR:
- The Sustainability Features of PEFC cellulose: Cellulose stands out as an environmentally conscious ingredient. With PEFC certification ensuring responsible management, cellulose derived from PEFC-certified sources promotes sustainable practices and biodiversity conservation. Using PEFC-certified cellulose, BetterBone demonstrates its commitment to sourcing ethical and sustainable sources, reducing their environmental impact, and contributing to a greener future for our planet.
- FDA Approval and the Use of Cellulose in Human Foods: Cellulose has been extensively used in human food products for a significant period. Approved by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) as a safe ingredient, cellulose holds the Generally Recognized as Safe (GRAS) status. This long-standing approval and acceptance highlight the ingredient's safety and suitability for consumption in various food items.
Cellulose finds its way into various human foods, including baked goods, processed foods, and sauces. Its unique properties enhance texture, moisture retention, and overall quality, making it a valuable ingredient in numerous culinary applications including:
- Baked Goods: Cellulose contributes to the texture, moisture retention, and overall quality of baked goods like bread, pastries, and muffins.
- Meat Products: In meat-based products like sausages and burgers, cellulose helps to improve texture, bind ingredients, and enhance juiciness.
- Soups and Sauces: Cellulose acts as a thickening agent in soups, sauces, and gravies, providing a smooth and consistent texture.
- Coatings and Batters: Cellulose is used in coatings and batters for deep-fried foods like chicken nuggets and fish sticks, giving them a crispy and golden exterior.
- Processed Foods: Cellulose is utilized in various processed foods, including snacks, cereals, and convenience meals, to enhance texture, stability, and shelf life.
- PEFC Cellulose in BetterBone Dog Chews: BetterBone, known for its natural and sustainable dog chews, integrates cellulose into their innovative products. By incorporating this eco-friendly ingredient, BetterBone ensures that their chews are safe for dogs and environmentally responsible. The use of cellulose in BetterBone dog chews provides several benefits:
- A natural & healthy alternative to petroleum-based products like nylon, rubber, rope, etc. Cellulose is safe enough for your kids, you, and I to ingest. It's why we make it our main ingredient in our chews so you know that your pup is safe, healthy, and has something delicious to chew on.
- Sustainability: By sourcing PEFC-certified cellulose, BetterBone is committed to sustainable manufacturing practices and supports responsible forest management.
- Enhanced Texture: PEFC cellulose contributes to the texture and durability of BetterBone chews, providing a satisfying chewing experience for dogs. TRY OUR SUPER DURABLE BETTERBONE TOUGH HERE
- Non-Toxic and Dog-Safe: BetterBone dog chews made with PEFC cellulose are hypoallergenic and non-toxic, ensuring the health and well-being of dogs. **Non-flavored versions only.
- CO2 Reduction: PEFC Cellulose vs. Petroleum-Based Alternatives: One of the significant environmental advantages of using PEFC cellulose lies in its lower carbon footprint compared to petroleum-based alternatives by 85% (3rd party LCA verified). The production of cellulose requires significantly less energy and emits fewer CO2 emissions when compared to the production of petroleum-based materials used in dog chews. (we more than offset the left over c02 by planting trees with our partners at tree-nation!)
By choosing BetterBone dog chews made with our natural compounds, dog owners contribute to the health & safety of their dogs while reducing the overall carbon emissions and environmental impact associated with their dogs' products.
Cellulose emerges as a sustainable and versatile ingredient, showcasing its potential in various applications, including BetterBone dog chews. With its FDA approval, long-standing use in human foods, and eco-friendly features, cellulose exemplifies BetterBone's dedication to providing natural and sustainable pet products.
By incorporating cellulose into our dog chews, BetterBone offers safe and enjoyable chewing experiences and a better option for your family and the planet.